Welcome incoming 9th grade students. We look forward to seeing you on your first day - August 12!
Thursday, June 20 – Last day school offices are open
Wednesday, July 24 – Office opens
Monday, August 12 - 1st day - 9th grade only
Tuesday, August 13 - 1st day - All students - 9-12
SM East Building Calendar: https://smeast.smsd.org/about/calendar
SFL Sports Calendar: https://www.sunflowerleague.org/public/genie/403/school/12/
Shawnee Mission East Lancers!!
2019-2020 School Year
Visit our Website @ https://smeast.smsd.org/families/summer-mailer-information
For Important Information & Dates
**Join Us for Registration & Fee Payment **
July 31, 2019 1:00pm-7:00pm
August 5, 2019 7:00an-2:00pm
In the Cafeteria
**Summer Reading: Attention SME English honors, AP, and IB students! You must check the school website before you leave for summer vacation to get your summer reading assignment. This is an expectation for the first few weeks of school and must be completed. Happy Reading! https://smeast.smsd.org/students/summer-assignments
**Schedule Changes: There will be a new process for requesting schedule changes for 2019-20. All requests must be submitted using a Google Form, which can be found on the Student Services / Counseling website. The link will also be included in the summer mailing that families will receive soon. The deadline to submit all requests is Thursday, Aug. 8th at 3:00 p.m., but students are encouraged to submit requests as soon as possible. Requests submitted after counselors leave for the summer will be addressed beginning in late July.
**Vaccinations: The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued new vaccination requirements for the 2019-2020 school year. The new requirements affect Kindergarten, 1st grade, 7th grade, and 11th grade students.
- Hepatitis A: Kindergarten and first grade students must have one dose to attend school. Second dose must be given 6 months after initial dose.
- Meningococcal (Serogroup A,C,W,Y): 7th and 11th grade students must have one dose to attend school. 7th grade students will receive a second dose in 11th grade. For 11th grade students, only one dose is required.
A full listing of immunization requirements can be found here: http://www.kdheks.gov/immunize/download/2019_2020_School_Requirement_K-12.pdf Please contact Stephanie Ptacek, SME School Nurse if you have questions at 913-993-6616
**New AP Testing Timeline, Resources & Fees: For the most part, the AP experience will largely remain the same—students will still sign up for AP classes at the same time, and exams will still be administered in May. However, there are a few important changes that students will notice for the 2019-20 school year.
- Fall Commitment: Students will now sign up for AP Exams in the fall. Your school will provide directions in late August on how to register and will place the exam order for students. If a class doesn’t start until the spring semester, AP coordinators can still order exams by the spring deadline. The exact cost for AP exams in 2020 are to be determined. You can plan for them to be approximately $100 per exam.
- New Resources from the College Board: Students will be able to get personalized feedback through new digital tools that provide daily support for every AP classroom. Teachers will be able to track student performance throughout the year using an online bank of real AP practice questions and monthly personal progress checks. Any student enrolled in an AP course can have access to these resources regardless of whether they are signed up to participate in the exams.
- New Fees: Two new fees are being introduced-- one for late registration and another for canceling the exam ($40). These fees encourage students to commit to the exams early and stay engaged throughout the year, increasing their chances of earning a score that qualifies for college credit.
Here is what students need to prepare for in the 2019-20 AP school year:
- Before the School Year: Students should visit www.apstudent.collegeboard.org to learn more about AP courses and exams. Students without a College Board account should create one and set their password. Students will need their username and password when AP classes start in the fall. Students who already have an account should make sure they know their username and password.
- Fall 2019: Teachers will give students a join code for each of their AP classes. Students will use their College Board username, password and join code to enroll in their class section. Students must decide by the end of October whether they plan to participate in the AP exams, and they must pay the exam fees at that time. Schools will submit exam orders in November.
- Spring 2020: In March, schools will submit any changes to their exam order and order exams for students in spring courses. Additional fees will be assessed for students adding an AP test that should have been ordered in the fall. Students will take their AP Exams in May.
- Summer 2020: AP Exam scores are released.
***Please set a calendar reminder for late August: Look for details from your counseling office regarding AP exam commitment as well as other opportunities for earning college credit including opportunities for earning credit through Johnson County Community College or Baker University.
**2019-2020 Bus Fee Information: Early payment discount before July 12, 2019
$160.00 per student, per semester or $320.00 per year for the school year. Must be received or postmarked by July 12, 2019. Payments received after July 12, 2019 - $185.00 per student, per semester or $370.00 per student for the school year. Bus fare is payable by credit card, money order, or check. CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Pay by mail or in person:
DS Bus Lines
5519 Merriam Dr.
Merriam, KS 66203.
To pay by credit card, contact DS Bus Lines at (913) 384-1190 or visit the website.
And remember, it's always a great day to be a Lancer!