SME News and Events for November 25- December 6
Enjoy your Thanksgiving Break!
Nov. 25-29 - No School - Thanksgiving Break
Wednesday, Dec 4 – Choir Concert at 7:00 pm in the SME Auditorium
SM East Daily Announcements: https://smeast.smsd.org/about/daily-announcements
SM East Building Calendar: https://smeast.smsd.org/about/calendar
SFL Sports Calendar: https://www.sunflowerleague.org/public/genie/403/school/12/
East Fund website: http://www.theeastfund.org/
PTSA website: https://smeast.smsd.org/families/pta
**Lost and Found: LOST & FOUND will be on the tables outside the nurse’s office for students, staff & parents to be reunited with their personal belongings. Items not reunited with their owners will be donated.
**Choir Spirit Wear: Choir Spirit wear is back! The website is now reopened for orders but only until this Sunday, November 24th. Show your SME choir pride…Find the perfect holiday gifts…Stock up on your T-shirts, travel blankets, and warm hats for the Spring Break choir trip! To order, visit: orders.regalawards.com/smechoir by 11/24/19!
**SMAC PTSA Clothing Exchange: SMAC PTA would like to inform you the SMAC PTA Clothing Exchange (CE) will close for a brief time after shopping hours on Monday, Nov. 11. The CE will reopen Jan. 27, 2020 and resume with the remainder of the year shopping schedule. https://www.smac-pta.org/clothing-exchange . The Center will undergo improvements and reorganization during this closed time. To contact the Clothing Exchange, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
**Heart Screenings: HeartCheck Screenings
The health and safety of your student is important to our district. That is why we want to keep you informed when optional health services are available through our schools. Sudden Cardiac Arrest is the leading cause of death for student athletes. While our district doesn’t endorse specific testing, we do feel it is important to make it available if you choose.
On Saturday, December 14, 2019, ATS HeartCheck will be returning to Shawnee Mission East High to provide their comprehensive heart assessments. This program is the national leader in youth heart screenings operated by highly trained medical professionals and overseen by pediatric cardiologists. Through special arrangements, the HeartCheck is being offered to all kids ages 8 to 25 for the special price of only $129, normally $1500.
Pre-registration is required . Click here to learn more or SCHEDULE NOW
If cost is an issue, CLICK HERE and complete the form to request a discount and see if you qualify. You can also schedule your child’s appointment at www.ATSHeartCheck.com. Select "Make an Appointment" from the menu bar to access the list of events.
- The deadline to request a schedule change or shortened schedule for 2nd semester is Tues, December 17th. Students should check their spring schedules in Skyward now and contact their counselor as soon as possible if they have any questions. No schedules will be changed or shortened after December 17, except in case of error or missing graduation requirements.
- Garmin Computer Science Day for Girls, Fri., Dec. 13th, 8:30 am to noon. In addition to touring the Garmin facility, girls will learn more about computer science careers and participate in a one-hour coding session. Interested students should email counselor Brenda Tretbar, firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Mon., Dec. 9th.
- Attention Junior Boys: If you are interested in the opportunity to learn leadership skills through role-play civic exercises, then Kansas Boys State is for you! Boys State will be held at K-State University on May 31-June 5, 2020. If you are interested in attending, please visit https://ksbstate.org/ for more information and registration details.
- Applications Are Open for the 2020 Bronfman Fellowship. Every year, twenty-six outstanding North American teenagers are selected as Bronfman Fellows. The highlight of the Fellowship is a free transformative and intellectually adventurous summer in Israel, where Fellows engage in thought-provoking study and conversation and make lifelong friends with a pluralistic group of peers. The Fellowship year continues with monthly virtual meetings and a seminar in the spring. Fellows continue their association with the Fellowship through an extraordinarily active, 1200+ alumni community. Applicants must be in 11th grade, self-identify as Jewish, and live in the U.S. or Canada. The deadline is December 1. Click here to apply
**FROM SHARE, SME's Student Volunteer Service Organization...
- 50 MORE ANGELS ARE COMING TO THE ANGEL TREE AFTER THANSKGIVING! Help us provide gifts for children in need this year. This is an easy way for you, your family, or your friend group to contribute to a child’s happiness this holiday season! Here’s how:
- Pick an angel off the tree in the cafeteria starting Tuesday, November 19th.
- PLEASE RECORD YOUR NAME AND CONTACT INFO ON THE SHEET NEXT TO THE TREE so we have record!!
- Shop for the gift indicated on the child's wish list. The price max is $35.
- Return the gift during one of our collection dates in the cafeteria: December 13th or December 16th immediately after school. When you drop the gift off, have it UNWRAPPED with the tag attached on top.
- We’ll provide holiday treats for people donating gifts!
Contact Zoe Hartman, Sydney Herpich, Lucy Hartman or Rose Kanaley with questions!
- SHARE CARE PACKAGES FOR FINALS ARE BACK...WITH A TWIST! This year support your student, our SME coffee shop AND the community. We'll provide a Columbia Brew coffee card worth ten cups of coffee (can be used for other beverages as well), an encouraging note to your student; AND purchase a food kit (KESHER kit) to be distributed to the hungry on the streets of KC or in our community. We'll deliver coffee cards and notes to students just before finals. Families can pick KESHER kits up at SME on Dec.14th so they can personally distribute, or SHARE will donate them back to Jewish Family Services to distribute through their programs. Sign up on this form and submit payment by Dec. 6th!
- WE NEED SOCKS & UNDERWEAR!!!! ...for donation to for donation to ScrapsKC (employing and supporting KC's homeless). While shopping, please grab new packages (or pairs) of socks and underwear and donate to the bin in the front entryway through Dec. 6th. They will be much appreciated!
- For additional opportunities in SHARE, please see our website here!
**Senior Shirts: It’s not too late to purchase a Senior Shirt. Please use link to purchase and for more information. https://allthingsathletickc.com/product-category/sme-class-of-2020
**PTSA is happy to announce that we have gathered a group of volunteers who will be willing to work with SME students, giving feedback on college admission essays. If you are interested in contacting one of these volunteers, please see the attachment below. We ask that you contact one of the volunteers and work with them directly. College Essay Volunteers.docx
**Boy Scout Troop 282 Christmas Tree Lot: Boy Scout Troop 282 Tree Lot.jpg
**Vaping and Health Risks to Youth: Please read the following link in regard to vaping and youths, very informational:
And remember, it's always a great day to be a Lancer!