“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”
Grant Process & FAQ’s
What is The East Fund?
The East Fund, developed in the spring of 2003, provides financial resources to ensure success for all students at Shawnee Mission East. It was established by a group of Shawnee Mission East parents, alumni, faculty and community business leaders. Initially, a Community Priorities Committee was created to identify priorities for the disbursement of funds and clarify expectations. After careful research, committee members determined that a grant program should be created allowing our educators, students, and patrons of Shawnee Mission East to apply for funding in the following areas:
The fund envisions a school environment with high expectations and aspirations, as well as the mutual commitment of adults and young people to achieve them.
Who is eligible for grants?
Grants may be submitted by faculty, staff, students and patrons of Shawnee Mission East High School.
What is the funding criteria?
• Grants must substantially improve or enhance at least one of the following:
(It is our intent to achieve a balance of projects in these three areas.)
• Minimum Grant request is $2,000
• Benefit the largest number of students and teachers possible
• Are inclusive in both planning and implementation of funded projects
• Purposely provide stretch, creativity and innovation for SME teachers and students
• Fund ideas and innovations that can be self-sustaining, and replicated at other schools
• Multi-year funding will be considered if such funding is necessary for project’s viability
• We encourage projects that demonstrate collaboration between academic disciplines and/or can be replicated within other classrooms or in the district
Note: The East Fund will not fund programs, projects or materials that are included in the district school budget, or teacher salaries.
What is the process for application?
Once your Grant Application is received, it is reviewed by our Grants Committee. This seven member committee of Shawnee Mission East parents carefully evaluates every grant with a rubric, designed to determine if your grant meets the criteria established by the Community Priorities Committee. Once reviewed, the Grants Chairperson brings the grant to The East Fund Board where it is discussed and voted upon.
When are applications due?
Provide a completed Application Form to our Grants Chair, please note specific due dates, which are listed on the form. The Board votes on Grant decisions in September, November, February and April. All applicants will be notified of The East Fund Board decisions within three to six weeks of submission.
Note: Grant consideration may be given at other times of the year, in special circumstances.
Please visit The East Fund via the website at www.theeastfund.org
The website provides the contact information for the East Fund Governing Board as well as the Grant Committee. It also provides additional information about The East Fund.