Student Services / Counseling
Enrollment for 2019-20
The deadline to request a spring semester class change was Friday, December 14th. No schedules will be changed or reduced after December 14, except in case of error or missing graduation requirements.
For current (spring) semester, students may only drop a course to be a lab assistant for a teacher, which is a no-credit, non-graded course.
Important Deadlines: (from SMSD Program of Studies, pg.23)
- By January 28: Students who request to withdraw from a course and submit a lab assistant application within the first three weeks of the semester (by January 28th) will have the dropped course removed from their transcript.
- After January 28: Any student who initiates a request to withdraw from a course after January 28th will have the dropped course remain on their transcript with either a "W/P" or "W/F" (indicating whether the student was passing or failing at the time they withdrew from the course). Marks of W/P and W/F are not computed in a student's gpa.
- By April 26 (April 18 for seniors): Students may not withdraw from a course during the last three weeks of the semester, so the last day to withdraw from a course is April 26th (April 18th for seniors). All requests to withdraw from a course must be initiated before April 26th (April 18th for seniors) to ensure the withdrawal is processed by November 26th (April 18 for seniors). No student may drop a course after that date.
Lab Assistant process:
- To withdraw from a course, students first visit with the teacher(s) of their choice to inquire about being a lab assistant.
- Then they should contact their counselor to begin the process. The counselor will check the student's graduation credits to confirm they may drop the course.
- The teacher will then submit a request directly to the principal for approval.
- After the principal approves the request, the counselor will give the student the application.
- Students must continue attending their original course until their schedule has been changed in Skyward.
Students may have only one lab assistant class per semester, so they are not allowed to drop more than one course per semester.
If you believe there is an error in your schedule (missing class, wrong grade level, haven't taken the prerequisite, have already taken the class, etc.), please send your counselor an email.
Enrollment for all summer school classes (including online courses):
Forms must be submitted in person (by student or parent) to the Student Services / Counseling office and payment must be made at the time of enrollment.
Beginning Feb. 4th: SME will accept completed enrollment forms and payment---check or cash only the first week---in person (from student or parent) in the SME Counseling office. Enrollment forms will be timestamped in order of receipt and entered in that order beginning on the 11th.
Beginning on Feb 11th: SME will accept completed enrollment forms in person (from student or parent) in the SME Counseling office and payment may be made by check, cash or credit card.
- Student Services / Counseling office hours are 7:00-3:20. The building offices will be closed for President’s Day on February 18th.
- At SM Northwest, 7:00 a.m. - noon, M-F
- Session 1: June 10-28
- Session 2: July 8-26
Deadline to enroll is June 3rd @ noon, however some classes may fill up earlier.
$180 per course (+$35 extra for Intro to Art and Advanced Foods)
Daily attendance required
Summer session: May 28 - July 2
Deadline to enroll is May 24, however, some classes may fill up earlier
$180 per course
All work done online, but final exam must be taken at school on designated date
For initial credit only (not credit recovery)
Art History, Health, Financial Literacy, Psychology, and Fitness for Life (PE)
Mandatory orientation session attendance in May (after school, on one of three dates)
Spring eSchool (online) courses - deadline to enroll is Jan. 18
The following online courses may be taken for initial credit: Health (9-12), Lifetime Fitness (9-12), Art History (9-12), Financial Literacy (10-12), Psychology (10-12), and Government (12).
Enrollment for spring eSchool classes begins on Tues., Nov. 27th.
Enrollment forms are available in the SME Student Services / Counseling office, 7:00 a.m.-3:20 p.m.
Courses are taken outside the school day.
Cost is $180 per semester and payment must be made at the time of registration (when the completed enrollment form is returned) by cash, check, or credit card.
All students must attend one mandatory orientation meeting:
January 17, 6:00-7:00 p.m. @ SM East cafeteria, or
January 24, 6:00-7:00 p.m. @ SM West cafeteria
Deadline to enroll is Friday, Jan. 18th.
All students must take a supervised final exam on April 23, 3:00-7:00 @ SM Northwest.
If you have course questions, contact your teacher directly.
Complete details and contact information can be found on the eSchool website.
Dual credit, or concurrent credit, is college credit that is earned concurrently with high school course credit in a particular class.
Apply to JCCC by August 31st
Spring course enrollment and payment deadline is Feb. 15.
Detailed instructions for students new to College Now.
Instructions for students continuing with College Now.
Use this complete Enrollment Guide for step-by-step instructions on how to enroll and click here for the course schedules and numbers: 2018 SPRING & Yearlong College Now Course Schedules
For the SME College Algebra Trig course, please see
Juniors & Seniors: Johnson County Community College is offering a Junior/Senior Day on Monday, February 18th, from 8:30 am to noon. Admissions representatives will be on-site to discuss all things JCCC Admissions and breakout sessions will be tailored to cover all sorts of high school-to-college topics! To reserve your spot, go to their website or call 913-469-8500, ext 141.