Frequently Asked Questions

How do I have a transcript sent to a college or university?

  • You must see the SME registrar first for all transcript submission methods (mailed, electronic, or uploaded).

  • If you are applying to a school via Common App or SendEdu, your counselor will upload your transcript and each college will download it only after you have submitted your application to that college.

  • Some schools allow your counselor to upload your transcript directly to their portal. Discuss this with the registrar when you sign your transcript release card and she will let your counselor know.

  • For all other application methods, the registrar will send your transcript to the college or university.

Do I need to send a transcript to all of the colleges I’m applying to?

No, some schools (for example, KU & K-State) use the “self-report” method and do not want you to send them a transcript when you apply. You will enter your courses and grades online when you apply. (Obtain an unofficial transcript from the registrar to make it easier to fill in your application.)

How do I know whether a college or university needs a transcript?

Follow instructions on each school’s web site. Do not send a transcript to a school that does not want or need it. It could delay processing of your application.

What about transcripts for scholarship applications and other programs?

Some scholarships, honors programs (e.g. KU Honors Program) and other special programs do require a transcript, even if you don’t need to submit one with your general application for admission.
Check details of these programs; some will allow you to upload an unofficial transcript. If they need an official transcript sent directly, see the registrar.

How do I have my transcript sent to the NCAA?

See the SME registrar, Melanie Lowe, in the Student Services / Counseling office.

Will you send my final transcript to the college I’m attending after I graduate?

In April, each senior will complete a senior survey, which includes designation of the college they’ve decided to attend. SME will send your final transcript to that school in June.